3-rx.comCustomer Support
HomeAbout UsFAQContactHelp
News Center
Health Centers
Medical Encyclopedia
Drugs & Medications
Diseases & Conditions
Medical Symptoms
Med. Tests & Exams
Surgery & Procedures
Injuries & Wounds
Diet & Nutrition
Special Topics

\"$alt_text\"');"); } else { echo"\"$alt_text\""; } ?>

Join our Mailing List


You are here : 3-RX.com > Home > Genetics -

Strong genetic basis for tonsillitis

GeneticsMay 26, 05

Recurrent tonsillitis (inflammation of the tonsils) may have a strong genetic component, researchers report in the Archives of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery.

Lead investigator Dr. Ellen Kvestad from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo told Reuters Health that the disease is known to run in families but the finding that this is due to genetic factors with no contribution from common environmental factors “was a bit surprising.”

Kvestad and associates used data from 9479 Norwegian twins to investigate the possible genetic and environmental contributions to recurrent tonsillitis.

Recurrent tonsillitis was more prevalent among females (14.1 percent) than among males (8.8 percent), the authors report, and the overall prevalence was 11.7 percent.

Of note, the correlations for recurrent tonsillitis were much higher among identical twins - twins that come from the same egg that splits after fertilization and sharing the same genes—than among fraternal twins in which two eggs were fertilized simultaneously.

Genetic factors, both additive genetic effects and genetic dominance, explained 62 percent of the variance in recurrent tonsillitis while individual environmental effects explained the remaining 38 percent of the variance.

Summing up, the authors say this study “provides evidence of a substantial genetic predisposition for tonsillitis.”

SOURCE: Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery May 2005.

Print Version
comments powered by Disqus

  Massively parallel gene function assays aim to reduce uncertainty of genetic diagnoses
  Drug improves measures of genetic disease that affects liver, spleen
  BGI study confirms accuracy of its NIFTY in nearly 147,000 pregnancies
  Study Reveals Evolution at Work
  Testosterone-regulated genes may affect vaccine-induced immunity
  U.S. FDA panel backs BioMarin’s Morquio A Syndrome drug
  Steroid hormone receptor prefers working alone to shut off immune system genes
  Diet may treat some gene mutations
  Newly identified gene mutation adds to melanoma risk
  Eating your greens can change the effect of your genes on heart disease, say researchers
  Gene defect that predisposes people to leukemia discovered
  A question of gene silencing


Home | About Us | FAQ | Contact | Advertising Policy | Privacy Policy | Bookmark Site