Alternate Names : Electrical Shock, High-Voltage Electric Shock
An electrical injury occurs when the skin or internal organs are exposed to
What are the causes and risks of the injury?
The human body conducts electricity very well. Direct contact with an electrical current can
be fatal. Although the cause of an electrical injury is often obvious, these
injuries can be overlooked at the time they occur. Sometimes very severe
electrical shocks look minor. Outwardly, the shock may only cause small burns.
However, internal damage can be very serious.
The most easily damaged organs are the heart and the brain. Cardiac arrest,
which occurs when the heart stops beating, can occur if the beating mechanism
of the heart is affected. There can also be significant muscle destruction from
the current passing through the body.
Electrical injuries commonly occur when:
young children bite or chew on electrical appliances or cords
young children poke an object, a finger, or other part of the body into an
Anyone may be injured by:
accidental contact with exposed parts of electric appliances or wiring
electrical flashes from high-voltage power lines