3-rx.comCustomer Support
3-rx.com
   
HomeAbout UsFAQContactHelp
News Center
Health Centers
Medical Encyclopedia
Drugs & Medications
Diseases & Conditions
Medical Symptoms
Med. Tests & Exams
Surgery & Procedures
Injuries & Wounds
Diet & Nutrition
Special Topics



Tacrolimus ( ta-KROE-li-mus) ointment is used for moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. This is a skin condition where there is itching, redness and inflammation, much like an allergic reaction






You are here : 3-RX.com > Medical Encyclopedia > Special Topics > Pesticides at Home
      Category : Health Centers > Poisoning and Toxicology

Pesticides at Home

A pesticide is a substance that kills or controls unwanted pests. These include insects, weeds, fungi, mice, or bacteria. Types of pesticides include:

  • disinfectants
  • fungicides
  • herbicides
  • insecticides
  • plant growth regulators
  • rodenticides
  • What is the information for this topic?

    Pesticides are poisonous. In order to use them safely in the home, it is important to know as much about them as possible.

    Choosing a pesticide

    The most common types of pesticides used in the home come in the following forms:

  • aerosols, such as home interior sprays for ants
  • baits, such as ant traps
  • dusts or grains
  • other products, such as flea collars for pets
  • powders that can be mixed with fluid
  • solutions
  • Certain pesticides are effective against a wide range of pests. Others target only a few. Some products are more toxic than others.

    When choosing pesticides, a person should:

  • consider where in the home it is to be used
  • find out if any other animal in the area could be affected by the use of the pesticide
  • know how long the active ingredient used in the pesticide will last
  • know what pest a product is recommended for
  • learn which forms are the most effective and least toxic for the pest
  • Pesticides are poisons. They may be dangerous if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. Signal words on the product label indicate how poisonous a pesticide is:

  • "danger" - highly poisonous
  • "warning" - moderately poisonous
  • "caution" - least hazardous
  • Preparing and using a pesticide

    Before using a pesticide, a person should read the product label carefully. When preparing or using a pesticide, a person should:

  • be aware that the more poison absorbed, the greater the risk of injury
  • keep the area well-ventilated
  • wear protective clothing, such as long sleeves, pants, rubber gloves, goggles, and a respirator
  • keep children and pets away until the active ingredient is no longer harmful
  • cover all kitchen appliances and eating surfaces to keep the poison from being consumed accidentally
  • avoid eating or smoking while using the product
  • After using a pesticide, a person should thoroughly clean hair, body, and clothes. Clothing should be washed separately to keep the pesticide from coming in contact with other clothes.

    Storing a pesticide

    Pesticides should never be stored in household containers. They could be consumed accidentally. Stored pesticide should be labeled carefully with large writing in waterproof ink.

    Symptoms of pesticide exposure

    Symptoms of pesticide poisoning vary, depending on the organ system and type of pesticide. Some examples include:

  • fatigue, drowsiness, or headache if the nervous system is attacked
  • itching, tearing, or blurred vision of the eyes when they are involved
  • nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea when the stomach or intestines are poisoned
  • redness, stinging, itching, or blistering of the skin when it is exposed
  • runny nose if the lining of the nose or throat is affected
  • shortness of breath and rapid breathing if a pesticide is inhaled
  • In extreme cases of pesticide poisoning, a person may be unable to breath or move. This paralysis is the way many insecticides kill bugs.

    First aid for pesticide exposure

    If poisoning is suspected, the following actions should be taken:

  • scrub any exposed skin areas immediately with soap and water
  • flush involved eyes continuously with water from the sink or hose for at least 15 minutes
  • avoid eye medicines or eye drops, as these may interact with the pesticide
  • remove all contaminated clothing if burns have occurred
  • avoid ointments, greases, or powders that may interact with the pesticide
  • bring the person to a well-ventilated area away from the poison
  • If the person is unconscious, contact the emergency medical services right away. If a pesticide was swallowed and the person is awake, call the poison control center right away. Rinse the mouth thoroughly with water. Staff at the poison control center may recommend drinking plenty of water or milk to dilute the pesticide. Never make the person vomit unless specifically instructed to do so.

    After initial help is given, medical care should be sought immediately. Any new or worsening symptoms should be reported to the healthcare provider.

    Author: Linda Agnello, RN, BSN
    Reviewer: Eileen McLaughlin, RN, BSN
    Date Reviewed: 09/06/01



    Benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH for short, is the enlargement of the prostate gland. It is caused by excess growth of cells in the prostate. This condition is not the same as prostate cancer





    Home | About Us | FAQ | Contact | Advertising Policy | Privacy Policy | Bookmark Site